St. Matthew Baptist Church Ministries
Meeting needs & using the spiritual gifts of God’s family! There is room here for you to serve in the kingdom!
The mission of the Board of Deacons is to support the Pastor and the vision and mission of St. Matthew Baptist Church, to minister to the congregation as the Pastor’s representatives in matters that will further the growth of the individual member and the corporate body, to serve them spiritually with brotherly love.
Brothers and sisters choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word. They presented these men to the apostles, who prayed and laid their hands on them. Acts 6:3-4,6
- To be servants who support the Pastor in accomplishing his God-given calling of shepherding and teaching the church.
- To make the church environment better for the entire church body, both naturally and spiritually.
- To assist the Pastor in the serving of the Holy Communion and the service of baptism.
The mission of the Trustee Board is to function as stewards of the church’s finances, the management of the church’s assets, and the maintenance of God’s house of worship and other church-owned properties. To ensure the best interest of the church, working in unity as a Body of Christ.
For the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several abilities; and straightway took his journey…….. His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed: Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents. Matthew 25: 14-28
- To oversee the care and maintenance of St. Matthew Baptist Church’s property and ground.
- To ensure the church is compliant with any legal requirements and to meet the need of the church.
The mission of the Finance Department is to make sure the finances of St. Matthew Baptist are properly managed in accordance with the mission of the church. This shall include developing and monitoring a church budget, financial recording and reporting, disbursement, and auditing of records.
For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Luke 14:28
- To prepare with the Treasurer and/or Financial Secretary financial report of all receipts and disbursements.
- To exercise oversight of all financial affairs of the congregation.
- To ensure that all are conducted efficiently, and that all church’s obligations are properly paid.
The mission of the Ministerial Staff of St. Matthew Baptist Church is to be ready to share the Word of God whenever and wherever it is needed, inside and outside of the four walls of the church building.
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the broken-hearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of the sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord.” Luke 4:18, 19
- To pray for the pastor, members, families, the community, and the world. To assist the pastor with duties he assigns.
- To fulfill the pulpit in the absence of the pastor.
- To preach on the 5th Sunday, be Sunday morning Worship Leader, and to assist with funerals, communion, and other programs sponsored by St. Matthew Baptist Church.
- To be ready able to teach and preach whenever needed. To provide spiritual guidance to whomever and whenever needed.
Sunday School Department
On the belief that the Christian Church prioritizes both worship AND study, Sunday School at St. Matthew Baptist Church seeks to help adults, adolescents, and children become more grounded in the fundamentals of the Christian faith and to acquire the tools necessary for examining scripture critically so that they can live out their faith with a firm understanding of what they believe, thereby serving effectively as disciples of Christ.
“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and of the Holy Ghost; Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. And Lo I am with you always even until the end of the world.” Matthew 28:19-20
Objectives of Ministry
- To be God’s lights to build up his kingdom
- To share and impart to children of all ages, adults, visitors and friends’ information about the Good News of Jesus Christ
- To equip the saints for the work of the ministry and for building up the Body of Christ.
The mission of the Deaconess Ministry of St. Matthew Baptist Church is to assist the Pastor by working with the Deacons in ministering to the needs of the overall congregation – specifically to women, children, elderly, and those in distress – with loving kindness and sympathy.
“In the same way, their wives are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.” 1 Timothy 3:11
- Assist the Pastor in the preparation of the observances of the spiritual ordinances (Holy Communion and Baptism)
- Be a co-labour with the Board of Deacons in the care of the sick, needy, and distressed in our community
To nurture the minds, and spirits of our youth so that whatever potential God has placed in them will be manifested for their good and the good of our society.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
- To provide an opportunity for our youth to live and grow in their relationship with God and to feel empowered in their abilities to be servants of God.
To seek and develop opportunities, using every available facet to teach and equip men, women, boys, and girls that will move them to a higher level in their spiritual, physical, emotional, intellectual, and Christian growth.
My child, listen to me, and treasure my instructions. Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight and understanding. Search for them as you would for lost money or hidden treasure. Then you will understand what it means to fear the LORD, and you will gain knowledge of God. For the LORD grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding. Proverbs 2:1-6
- To provide new members of the church with information on what Baptists believe and the ordinances.
- To explain the meaning of church membership.
- To explain and discuss Christian Growth.
- To orient new members to the Bible and how to read it.
- To discuss stewardship (including tithes, talents, time, and church etiquette)
- To introduce new members to the ministries of the church.
- To religiously educate the members of the church and community on the teachings of Jesus and the Bible.
- To provide age-appropriate classes and materials for students participating in Vacation Bible School.
Children’s Word: Every 1st, Sunday, & 3rd Sunday during regular worship service
• To present lessons from the Bible, usually 4-5 minutes, in a format that children and the young at heart will understand.
• To let the children know that they are an important part of the services at church. They feel that Children’s Word is just for them.
Children’s Church: 4th Sunday
• To acquaint children with the operations of the church and allow them to practice the procedures in a child-friendly environment.
• To allow children the opportunity to ask questions about and discuss topics from the Bible.
• To provide an atmosphere where children are encouraged to read the Bible daily and put into practice the lessons taught.
• To provide hands-on activities that reinforce the lessons that are taught.
The mission of the Ushers Ministry is to be ready to serve and do what needs to be done to accommodate every worshipper (member or visitor) who enters the church in the most pleasant, safe, and efficient manner possible.
Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 1Peter 4:10
- To be in uniform and serve every Sunday morning at St. Matthew Baptist Church.
- To greet our members and guests with Christian warmth, sincere smiles, and promote a spirit of worship.
- To serve in any capacity as deemed necessary by the Pastor for the smooth and orderly flow of the worship service.
First Response Team
The mission of the First Response Team is to provide first aid and assistance in the event of minor accidents or illnesses, to provide assistance prior to the arrival of emergency responders, to provide health care for the members of St. Matthew Baptist Church, and to promote healthy bodies & spirits for all in the church.
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love. 1 Corinthians 16:13-14
- To provide medical assistance to anyone within St. Matthew Baptist Church. To help with educating the community on various health related issues and concerns.
Praise Team Ministry
To lead the congregation in worship of God Almighty and to serve as true examples through music, song, and praise, while giving God all the praise all the time.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting, and his truth endureth to all generations. Psalm 100
- To open the services at church on Sunday Mornings and to usher in the Spirit of God.
Pastor's Aide Ministry
To assist with the planning and coordinating of programs dealing with uplifting the Pastor, to lead the congregation in fulfilling the biblical responsibilities of providing for the Pastor, and to teach the biblical principles of loving and caring for the Pastor.
Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. 18For the scripture saith, thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward. 1Timothy 5:17-18
- To provide moral, spiritual, and financial support to the Pastor and his family.
- To show appreciation to the Pastor for his leadership and spiritual guidance.
To spread the word of God to others for purposes of uplifting and conversion. We do this by feeding the hungry, visiting the people who are sick, shut-in, and bereaved.
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in the earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. Matthew 28:18-20
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
- To use our God-given influence to encourage our family, church, and community with the love of God and the teachings of Jesus Christ.
- To encourage, equip, and connect women of the community as they pursue the fullness of Jesus Christ in their lives.
- We desire to create a fellowship of women that serve others with compassion and love each other with a spirit of grace and forgiveness.
The mission of the Scholarship Ministry is to demonstrate the church’s commitment to our young people in their endeavors toward attaining higher education. To this end, the Scholarship Ministry uses available funds to make awards to students who are members of the church and are pursuing their first undergraduate degree. Applicants will have the responsibility of adhering to the guidelines/policy set forth by the Scholarship Committee to meet eligibility.
Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding Proverbs 3:13
- To provide a one– time financial assistance to qualified High School seniors at achieving their higher education goals.
Zion Praise Dancers
Our mission is to minister, inspire and encourage those of all ages throughout the community through dance and worship by the power of God
“Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with timbrel and harp.” Psalm 149:3
- To praise God through dance, throughout the community; spreading the love of God.
The mission of St. Matthew Baptist Church Concert Choir is to make a joyful noise to the rock of our Salvation, sing praises to God. To enhance the service with suitable hymns and gospel songs and to set the tone for the Word of God every 2nd Sunday and 5th Sunday of the month. To assist the Pastor on outings and fellowship with other churches during revival and anniversaries when invited.
“Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;” Ephesians 5:19
- To bring glory to the Lord and lift our hearts in His praise
- To spread the story of Christ through song
- To allow the Servants of Jesus Christ to share their gift that God has given
- To enrich the worship experience with praise in song.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Psalm 100:1-2
- To lead and enliven the people of God through songs.
Youthful Praise Choir
- Strengthening youth bonds in Christ with songs; Believe it and you can achieve it!
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
- To bring (youth) people together through song and community events.
To foster spiritual growth and demonstrate love for God through music and song. The ministry endeavors to enhance and uplift the people of God in worship services through the songs of Zion.
Let the godly sing with joy to the LORD, for it is fitting to praise him. Psalm 33: 1
- To render songs of praise during the worship service and provide an atmosphere of praise for fellow members and guests
Sun Fun Fest Committee
The mission of the Sun Fun Fest ministry is to display the love of Christ and to connect with people of all walks of life in Kershaw County and beyond through our creative services and discipleship.
For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly. Psalm 84:11
The objective of Ministry:
- To support the foundation of the church via special fundraising projects
The mission of the St. Matthew Baptist Church Food Pantry is to provide food to help feed the poor, hungry, and less fortunate of our community.
“For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and you gave me drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in.” Matthew 25:35
To help supplement meals by providing groceries for the poor and the hungry, as well as to provide nutrition education.
Past Year’s Accomplishments:
• Last year, the Pantry provided and distributed more than 2400 bags of groceries to residents of Kershaw County and surrounding counties. In addition, at least 840 boxes of groceries were distributed to senior citizens.
• To continue to meet the hunger needs of Kershaw County by supplementing groceries for the poor and hungry.
Click here to learn more about
St. Matthew Baptist Church Food Pantry
Not Forgotten Ministry
To enhance the physical, mental, and spiritual well-being of members age 60 and older of St. Matthew Baptist Church and its community. This mission will be accomplished by providing health and nutritional education, fitness opportunities, and social connections.
Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. Psalm 103:5
- To involve seniors in activities that will enhance their minds, bodies, and souls.